I mmanuel Lutheran Church has a long history of ministry in this community. In the year 1853, a group of strong religious settlers established the congregation. The first official record appeared in 1853 with the baptism of Emil Wolf in November. Throughout its entire history, Immanuel congregation has had a strong emphasis upon ministry of Christ our Lord and Christian Education. In 1855, the first church building was built, standing on what is now the front lawn at 21 Mile and Romeo Plank Road. The front part of this frame building served as the Pastor's residence and in back were the church and the school.
As the congregation grew, it was evident that this church was too small. The first brick church was built in 1866 standing in the same place as its present structure. In 1877, the school was split into two districts. (One remaining at 21 Mile and Romeo Plank Road and the other at the corner of 24 Mile and Romeo Plank Road.) At this time there were signs of the beginning of a new congregation as an outgrowth of Immanuel. In 1883, 19 members from Immanuel formed St. Peter Lutheran Church, presently at 24 Mile and Romeo Plank Road. The school building there was sold to them in 1887 for $5.00.
The congregation continued to grow and it was evident again that the sanctuary needed to be enlarged. So in 1910, the present church building was dedicated. The congregation continued to grow and in 1929 the first confirmation class was instructed in English and in 1930, the first English worship services were held. By 1960, the German services were discontinued. The school continued to grow and in June of 1961, the present school building was dedicated. It also continued to grow. In 1980, the worshipping attendance on a weekend was 396. During the next four years the worship attendance remained very consistent; with 1981 being 457, 1982 being 411, 1983 being 412, and 1984 being 411.
In 1984, Pastor Michael Lutz came to Immanuel and it was a combination of the Lord's working in the community, within the people of Immanuel, and the leadership, that the congregation began to show some dramatic growth in worship attendance. In 1986, the average worship attendance was 502 and as the growth took place, the parking lots were completed with an addition to the school in 1987. Worship attendance increased and the need for an additional worship service was experienced. As the years progressed it was very evident of the need to once again expand the church facility. Presently there are five worship services (with a special additional service in the summer months which is held outdoors) every weekend. Because of the growth, on the weekend of March 21-23, 1998 we dedicated our Worship Center which seats 950 and has state of the art technology with rear projection screens, three cameras, theatrical lighting, and stereo sound. The present average worship attendance in 2008 is 1300-1350.
In September 2001 we completed the lower level of our Worship Center. It contains six classrooms which enable us to continue the growth of the school until we have two classrooms of each grade level. During 2003 we celebrated our 150th anniversary. Throughout Immanuel's history, we have been reaching out to people within the community and across our borders with the love of Jesus Christ and those within our community have responded. We have sent members of our congregation to Kazakstan, South Africa, Mexico, China, Vietnam, India, Brazil, Northern Canada, Honduras and Alaska and sponsor several overseas ministries as well (see our Outreach and Missions page). We continue to "Reach out with Christ's love and care."
On September 9, 10, and 11th of 2012, Pastor Greg S. Griffith was installed as the new lead pastor of Immanuel. Pastor Greg had been serving the previous 8 years as Immanuel's Associate Pastor. Pastor Greg is honored to be apart of the history of Immanuel and looks forward to leading our community into the next era of making a difference in the community of Macomb and the world. Pastor Greg knows that Immanuel is standing on a firm foundation laid by our fore-fathers, and by Pastor Mikes vision.