Welcome to 6th Grade
WELCOME TO SIXTH GRADE AT IMMANUEL!
You will find important information about sixth grade on this website. Please take some time and explore this page.
There are many links to helpful resources!
My husband and I have been active members at Immanuel for years, participating in worship, Bible studies, and volunteerism. We have a dog, Sophie, and a cat, Toothless. I love spending time with my family. We love playing board games, doing anything active, and watching movies.
I am so excited for this year! I am extremely blessed to teach at Immanuel, and I look forward to helping your children grow in faith and knowledge.
Curriculum - 6th Grade
Math ? The concepts covered are decimal operations, expressions and equations, integers, fractions, ratios, proportions, percents, and geometry.
- Literature/Reading ? The students spend a large portion of their time independently reading at their level and their interests to build them as readers.? Students will also study a variety of literary genres.? Mini lessons on reading strategies, literary elements, and skills are an integral part of the classroom.? Incorporated within this framework are classroom novels.
- English – Sixth grade is the first year in a three year series studying the fundamentals of the English language. Students study the grammar, usage, and mechanics of the English language.
- Writing ? Writing is incorporated throughout the school year in the context of what they are studying in English.? Students will write a personal narrative, literary response and analysis, a compare/contrast piece, as well as a character analysis paper.? The writing curriculum concludes with a research paper on a historical figure and a public speaking experience via a Historical Wax Museum.
Social Studies – Sixth grade concentrates on world history from ancient times to the Middle Ages. ?Experiential learning includes cuneiform writing, pyramid building, Greek mythology plays, and a Medieval Festival.
Science ? In sixth grade, students will study earth science. Topics include: elements, minerals, rocks, earthquakes, volcanoes, space, and a study on creation including Noah?s Flood and its geological impact.
Physical Education -Students participate in physical education activities twice a week.
Computers ? Students attend a weekly computer class on a variety of topics.
Electives – ??Students may choose electives from the following courses:? advanced band, choir, music appreciation, hand bells, advanced art,? current events, money matters, Spanish, and study hall.
Art – The sixth grade art program includes drawing technique, a variety of art medium and technique, and the emphasis of the seven elements of art.
6th?Graders will be taking the “Cultural Tour” this year!
- We will go to Cranbrook to emphasize our minerals and rocks unit.
- We will go to Meadowbrook Theatre in the winter to see A Christmas Carol.?The students will read the story in literature class prior to the trip.