Technology & Media CenterStudent Learning through Technology
Philosophy for the Use of Technology
We believe that technology is a tool for communication, for problem solving, and for academic achievement. Technology does not end with itself, but is used by students, parents, staff and the entire school community to access information in the school, the community, and the world. Technology tools are used by students to learn grade level and course content based on Immanuel Lutheran School’s adopted curriculum standards. As in the real world, students use technology to work on challenging, real-life topics, to present their conclusions to important questions, and to defend and clarify their thinking.
Standards for Grades K-8
- Creativity and Innovation – Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
- Communication and Collaboration – Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others.
- Research and Information Fluency – Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making – Students use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources.
- Digital Citizenship – Students understand human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology and practice legal and ethical behavior.
- Technology Operations and Concepts – Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations.
Technology in the Classroom
Technology is an integral part of our education here at Immanuel
- We have the ability to go “1-to-1” in each classroom with our carts of iPads, Chromebooks, and laptops.
- Each classroom at Immanuel has a projector connected to the teacher’s computer, as well as Apple TV which connects to the teacher’s or student’s iPad. Teachers are able to project presentations, videos, interactive websites, and more to the students.
- Document cameras in each classroom allow teacher to easily show students enlarged images of anything from picture books, maps, science dissections, and more.
- Teachers have access to thousands of educational videos through Discovery Education.
- Our entire campus is wireless and students in the upper grades are allowed to bring in their own devices for educational purposes.
- Technology classes are taught weekly to all students in Kindergarten -8th grade. A technology curriculum is offered with emphasis on using technology to collaborate and communicate. Immanuel’s Computer Lab consists of 26 computers operating Google, Windows 10 and Office 2016, plus many interactive programs for all grade levels.
- We have a variety of educational apps and software that enhance our curriculum including –
- Splash Learning – math
- Accelerated Reader – reading
- Starfall – reading
- Typing.com – keyboarding
- Code.org & Tynker.com – coding
Library & Media Center
I will strive to create a fun and inventive, educational atmosphere where children are engaged in learning and absorbing knowledge from all that is presented during the course of the day. I believe it is important to encourage students to be independent and to use critical thinking skills when they solve problems. In addition, students will be taught how to maintain a positive attitude and excel at good citizenship. Above all, kindness and humanity will be the order of the day.